I am a student of the non-profit, charity, cause world ~ I suspect most of my Behind the Button readers not so much. You are the participants, the "doers' if you will, out there promoting a cause, raising money and honoring your loved ones. So here's the thing I just listened to a 40 minute talk by Seth Godin link here about the state of the non-profit world, it was made possible by the excellent Network for Good and...
I think you should listen to this, because you can help, you are going to be the change, the difference!
Now mind you this talk was directed to and I assume attended mostly by non-profit professionals -- so at first I did not think it would merit your attention but as the call went on I recognized that one of the biggest (maybe the biggest) challenges the non-profit world faces is more likely to be solved bottom up (you) than top down. Seth talks about changing the game --turning the traditional, boring "fundraising funnel" around and making it a dynamic, focused (permitted) and loud "cause megaphone". This is where you come in you are going to have to help your favorite non-profit change. (little secret: they're longing for you to help) Your going to have to do things, here are five ideas (mine) to get you started:
- tell them you want to "make your story part of their cause" not vice versa
- tell them when too much email is too just much
- tell them to give you something remark able for you to email your friends about, can't have too many emails like that
- tell them when too many raised dollars are spent on too many tshirts, trinkets and event schwag
- tell them you want to know what they think, really think about the cause ~ demand they start a dialogue (blog is the best way ~ start today here)
....too many more to mention here. The bottom line is if you love a cause take it upon yourself to speak up, to drive change. I think there are a whole lot of amazing non-profit professionals in sleepy organizations who need (are longing for) you to ally with them to be the change! I would love your thoughts and comments on this one please.